Friday, April 22, 2005

Call Home, William Hung: All Is Forgiven

Almost anything released by Romulan Records is worth hearing. They're one of the more prolific compilation labels seeking out vintage oddball recordings from the 1950's and '60's. Because this quasi-fake label keeps its identity hidden (for legal reasons--none of its copyrights are cleared), it's not always easy to find their records (except by mail order), so if you see one, my advice is to snatch it up immediately. This is what I did during my recent trip to LA when I found Girls In The Garage (Oriental Edition) in the used racks. I own a few of Romulan's cds in this Girls series but I'd never heard of this particular release, which focuses on Asian recordings. It's packed full of jaw-dropping versions of popular American/UK tunes of the day, of course, which almost makes me weep with glee. Does that make me a racist, just because I find pleasure in hearing foreign cultures attempting to perform music outside their borders? Am I a bad person for wanting to share Come Back When You Grow Up by Nancy Sit with the world? Is this just the She Bangs of its day? Perhaps I've been rationalizing my love of this tune for a different reason: when the title is being sung during the chorus, it sounds as if she's singing "Come back/When you grow old", which is a unique sentiment you don't hear very often. How many of us would love to be told by a potential mate that they'd rather be dating us when we're in our 60's or 70's instead of when we're young?

No comments: