Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Love the Sinner, Hate the Song

It has been so inspiring to read Pop Songs 07's single-minded dissection of every single track ever recorded by R.E.M. (and don't forget Drive XV the cult-like blog devoted to one, specific R.E.M. album) that I have decided to hop on board this Fad Train, quoting and commenting upon specific lyrical stanzas from various tracks throughout R.E.M.'s storied career. First up, Lotus from their college rock/alt-rock masterpiece Up:

Let it rain, rain, rain
Save me from myself again
Wash away my ugly sins
Opposing thumb, dorsal fin
Applicable copyright is implicit (Copyright © R.E.M./Athens Ltd. for all R.E.M. originals).

[If by "wash away my ugly sins" you mean "wash away the dip-shit pretentious blue streak of makeup across my face", then yes, by all means, let it rain, rain, rain, rain, rain! FOR GOD'S SAKE, SOMEONE BRING THE FUCKING RAIN ALREADY!!!]

4 comments:

Highlander said...

I'm with you on this one. I like REM up to a point but I can't imagine a whole blog devoted to each and every song.

Disco:Very said...

Agreed. Now let us never speak of R.E.M. again.

anandamide said...

I, along with the great unwashed masses, abandoned R.E.M. after Automatic for the People.

Disco:Very said...

I jumped ship long before that. When I viewed the iceburg up ahead named Out of Time, I grabbed me a lifeboat and scrambled overboard faster than Michael Stipe tears through an issue of Butt Magazine. As my meager vessel headed back to shore, I turned around to see the mighty HMS REM sinking slowly into the murky waters of Post-College Rock. There was a momentary tinge of guilt but then I forgot all about it and moved on, confident in my decision and eager to abandon the next chart-topping artist coursing through unchartered run-on metaphors such as this one.