Thursday, January 08, 2009

Noise Annoys (But I Like It, I Like It, Yes I Do).

The best thing about the post-punk buzz-thump of Eddy Current Suppression Ring is that it never seems to end. Each riff is stretched and pulled into a sonic taffy which sticks to your teeth and lungs, very much the same way real taffy does. I Admit My Faults has that visceral tension of early Fugazi without the show-off time signatures and, unlike that boney band, this one keeps their shirts on. Colour Television begins with a careful tiptoe around your ears before pouncing on your head like a rabid pigeon with something to prove. Which Way to Go surrounds itself in a 1977 punk/drone Saints-squall and...pretty much stays there for 3 minutes. In the private universe over which I rule, that's a compliment of the highest order. Don't let their US distribution on Goner Records fool you: this isn't the garage rock of your youth. This music is too urgent for that tepid label: the band has already climbed into the car and squealed out onto the open road without lifting the garage door first.

1 comment:

jonder said...

Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah! I just discovered the Ooga Boogas, an Aussie supergroup including members of the Eddy Current Suppression Ring:

http://covertcuriosity.blogspot.com/2008/10/ooga-boogas.html