Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Do the Slurpee

An avid reader in Phoenix has complained to me that he stopped listening to The Fall many albums ago, frustrated over what he sees as a growing lack of head-pounding musical excitement. I admonish him to reconsider: while every late-career album has its share of problems, there are still ball-cringing gems like Open the Boxoctosis #2, Theme from Sparta F.C., Crop Dust, My Ex-Classmate's Kids and it's wacky inborn sequel I Wake Up In The city. Mark E. Smith died for our sins, dear readers--the least we can do is keep drinking the holy water.

5 comments:

anandamide said...

I find it pretty hard to get into late career albums by anybody....Can you think of anyone who made a great album (comparable to their best stuff) late on in the game?

Disco:Very said...

I would agree, Anandamide (if that is your real name): there isn't a single latter-day album ever made by anyone whose career spans more than 10 years. Therefore, I'm currently lobbying Congress to pass a "Logan's Run" bill which would enforce the elimination of all rock artists past the age of 30. And I'm being very firm that nobody gets "grandfathered" in. Take that, David Crosby!

jonder said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jonder said...

If you girls are done kissing, may I point you toward Radio Birdman's "Zeno Beach" album?

And just what is a "growing lack"? Is it like a peacekeeper missile, military intelligence, or compassionate conservatism?

Disco:Very said...

How about "throbbing lack"? It has more of an urgency to it.