Sunday, August 28, 2011

With Only 39 Years Left to Live, It's Time I Finally Got Around to Digitizing My Cassette & Vinyl Collection [Part 14]



Thelonius Monster - The Boldness of Style EP (12" EP on Relativity Records, 1987)

Although they were often simply thought of as the West Coast version of The Replacements, the Los Angeles sextet Thelonius Monster never quite reached the ramshackle pinnacles of their Minneapolis counterpart (read: they didn't drink as much). This 3-track EP contains the college rock/funk single Walk on Water (produced by Flea, fittingly) from their sophomore LP and two unreleased tracks (one of which is a live recording and probably the only officially-released example of their who-gives-a-fuck live act.) Although a number of their other LPs are now available on iTunes, this one is not. Thus I feel secure that by posting this download, I will not be harassed by The Man. Will the band itself force me to cease and desist? Only time will tell.

2 comments:

jonder said...

I think they drank at least as much as the Replacements. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the Mats started avoiding Bob Forrest when he was at his worst (many years before Celebrity Rehab). I wonder if they all got their plaid suits from the same tailor. "Walk on Water" is still a great song, and so is "Try" (from the first T.Monster album).

Anonymous said...

Holy shit i fucking love you. Thx!